Tacos & Tortas By admin
Servings: 6 tortas
- 1 1/2 pounds shredded pork from the Smoky Pork and Sweet Potato Boudin
- 2 3/4 cups blended tinga sauce from the Smoky Pork and Sweet Potato Boudin
- 6 Mexican bolillos or mini baguettes
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican melting cheese such as Chihuahua, quesadilla, asadero or Monterey Jack, mild cheddar or brick.
- 2 large avocados, peeled, seeded and cut into thin slices
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Scoop the shredded pork and sauce into a medium pot and heat over medium-low until piping hot and the sauce has thickened.
- Taste and season with additional salt if necessary.
- Slice the bolillos in half lengthwise and using your fingers or a spoon, scrape out some of the soft bread in the center of each half, making a small hollow.
- Place the bottoms on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Divide the shredded pork between the 6 bottom halves, then top each with about 1/4 cup of shredded cheese.
- Cap the tortas with the top half of the rolls and slide the baking sheet into the oven for about 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the bolillos have crisped.
- Once out of the oven, remove the top half of the roll and add the avocado slices.
- Replace the tops and serve immediately.
Carnitas de Puerco
Servings: 6 Makes 1 3/4 to 2 pounds finished carnitas
- 4 pounds bone-in pork shoulder roast, cut into 1 1/2- to 2-inch slabs
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut each slab of pork in half and lay the pieces in a baking dish (they should fit into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish without being crowded).
- Liberally sprinkle with salt (about 1 teaspoon) on all sides.
- Pour 1/3 cup water around the meat, cover tightly with foil, and bake for 1 hour.
- Raise the oven temperature to 450 degrees.
- Uncover the meat and cook until the liquid has completely reduced and only the rendered fat remains, about 30 minutes.
- Now, roast, carefully turning the meat every 7 or 8 minutes, until lightly browned, about 20 minutes longer.
- Break the meat into large pieces and serve on a warm platter, sprinkled with salt.