Slow-Roasted Pork Carnitas
Carnitas de Puerco
Servings: 6 Makes 1 3/4 to 2 pounds finished carnitas
- 4 pounds bone-in pork shoulder roast, cut into 1 1/2- to 2-inch slabs
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut each slab of pork in half and lay the pieces in a baking dish (they should fit into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish without being crowded).
- Liberally sprinkle with salt (about 1 teaspoon) on all sides.
- Pour 1/3 cup water around the meat, cover tightly with foil, and bake for 1 hour.
- Raise the oven temperature to 450 degrees.
- Uncover the meat and cook until the liquid has completely reduced and only the rendered fat remains, about 30 minutes.
- Now, roast, carefully turning the meat every 7 or 8 minutes, until lightly browned, about 20 minutes longer.
- Break the meat into large pieces and serve on a warm platter, sprinkled with salt.